SEO is the English term for natural referencing of websites. The Divi theme is one of the few WordPress themes that includes options to improve your SEO. But is that enough for the make SEO-friendly ?
From the theme options, you can activate the SEO fields on the home page, articles and index. We will then find 3 sub-tabs that we will discover below. We will also see if it is interesting to use it.
Here is the program of the article:
- The SEO tab of the home page
- The SEO tab of the articles
- The SEO Index tab
- Should we use Divi's SEO options?
- The other options of the Divi theme
Advertisement: This article contains affiliate links that you will easily recognize. The classic links are in purple and sponsored links are in pink.
1 - The SEO tab of the home page
- Enable / Disable: This is where you can enable the SEO fields for your homepage. By activating these fields, they will become operational.
- Enter fields: Once the SEO fields are active, you can start entering your descriptions, title and keyword. This is the home page only.
- Automatic title: In case you leave the first 4 options on "disable", the Divi theme will then propose you to automatically generate a title according to 3 versions : Blog Name + Blog Description] or[Blog Description + Blog Name] or[Blog Name Only]. If you wonder what this corresponds to and where the theme will look for this information, it's very simple: it will pick up what you entered in the tab Settings > General of your site. That is, the fields "site title" and "slogan".
- Choice of separator: this is only a small option that allows you to choose the element that will separate the title and name of your blog. Usually we choose a "pipe" or a "dash" ( | or -)
- Save: as usual, after making changes, don't forget to save them.
2 - The SEO tab of the articles
- Enable / Disable: as for the home page, this is where you can enable custom SEO fields for each of your items.
- Generate the field structure: here, you can enter a kind of structure so that the SEO fields are automatically filled on each item. Generally: seo_title to auto generate the title, seo_description and seo_keywords.
- Automatic title : same as home page
- Choice of separator : same as home page
- Save: Don't forget to save your changes.
Warning, if you want to use Divi's SEO fields from an article, you will need to activate the "custom fields" and enter them at the bottom of each article. To better understand, I have prepared a short video for you.
To get started with Divi, discover all the articles to start serenely!
3 - The SEO Index tab
This involves setting the SEO options for category archive pages.
- Enable canonical URLs: Canonization avoids indexing duplicate content by search engines and, therefore, can help avoid duplicate content penalties and pagerank degradation. Some pages may have different URLs all leading to the same place. For example, my-domain.com, my-domain.com/index.html and www.mon-domaine.com are all different URLs to your home page. From a search engine perspective, these duplicate URLs, which often occur due to customized permalinks, can be treated individually rather than as a single destination. By activating this option, you can then indicate to the search engine the URL you wish to use officially. Read this article to learn more about Canonical URLs.
- Allow meta-descriptions: allows meta-descriptions for categories.
- Method of automatic title generation: same as for pages and articles.
- Choice of separator: same as for pages and articles
- Save: don't forget to save.
Did you know that you can test Divi for free? Go to this page and click on "TRY IT FOR FREE"
4 - Should we use Divi's SEO options?
These SEO options can be interesting for those who are new to SEO or who do not need to perform a proper SEO optimization.
To be honest, I never use it. I use in 100% of cases, the extension YOAST SEO…
Do the meta fields proposed by Divi replace the fields proposed by the Yoast SEO extension? Yes, indeed, this option does the same job as the fields proposed by the Yoast extension at the bottom of each article.
Is Divi's SEO module as relevant as YOAST? No. YOAST is one of the best SEO plugins on the market. It's a real Swiss army knife.
In addition to offering fields to customize metas, it does so much more: we can set up many options that boost the referencing of your site.
So the question we can ask ourselves is: why did ElegantThemes include an SEO module in its theme since it is not the best? Quite simply because this may be sufficient depending on the project. This may even be appropriate for some users who are afraid to install and configure an advanced plugin like YOAST or SEOPress.
5 - The other options of the Divi theme
To go further, I suggest you browse through the other articles in this series dedicated to Divi's options:
- How to set up the parameters the General tab of the Divi theme ?
- How to set up the parameters the Navigation tab of the Divi theme ?
- How to set up the parameters the Creator tab of the Divi theme
- How to set up the parameters the Layout tab of the Divi theme ?
- How to set up the parameters the Advertisements tab of the Divi theme ?
- How to set up the SEO tab of the Divi theme? (you are on this article)
- How to set up the parameters the Integration tab and Updates tab of the Divi theme ?