Here is an article that will help you to start with Divi. If you are new to WordPress and have read or heard here and there that Divi was a great theme.the first question you might ask yourself is: "how to get and install Divi? » and that would be legitimate!
This article is certainly the first article in this blog to read, well, if you are new to WordPress... Let's discover without further delay the few steps to follow to install Divi on your WordPress site. Here is the program:
- The prerequisites
- Step 1: Subscribe a Divi license
- Step 2: Download the Divi theme
- Step 3: Install the theme on WordPress
- It's over! It's over!
Advertisement: This article contains affiliate links that you will easily recognize. The classic links are in purple and sponsored links are in pink.
First of all: the prerequisites
First you will have to choose a domain name, a host and install WordPress.
I won't talk about this here because there are already many resources on the web that can help you and because this blog is dedicated to Divi and not WordPress.
Otherwise, you can follow the tutorial guide I wrote to help beginners master WordPress that you will find on my blog dedicated to entrepreneurship.
If you have already done all this, we will be able to continue together...
First step: the purchase of the Divi.
The Divi theme is a premium theme, which means that it is a paid theme, unlike the free themes you can find on the WordPress repository.
I advise you not to use a Divi theme that you might have found on dubious platforms, you could get into serious trouble later....
I also advise you not to use the Divi theme that your "buddy" would have kindly "spun" you because it is a good way for updates not to be followed. Divi is a theme that evolves regularly, there are several updates per month and this would imply that you would be dependent on the person who made the theme available to you.
So the best thing to do is to legally and honestly license this theme (well, that's how I see it) by going directly to the ElegantTheme platform.
You can test Divi for free by going to on this page and by clicking on "TRY IT FOR FREE"
As soon as you arrive on the site, you will notice this pretty fuchsia button with the writing "Join to Download", you just have to click on it to see the two acquisition formulas appear:
- the annual "Yearly Access" license at $89: you will have to renew this payment each year to be able to benefit from the updates. If you do not renew your license, your site will still work but you will not be able to install the updates.
- LifeTime Access" lifetime license at $249: you pay once for the entire license that will give you access to all the themes and plugins of the platform with "lifetime" updates. This formula is very profitable in the short term if you use Divi to create your customers' websites.
In both cases, your license can be used on an unlimited number of sites, this is one of the advantages offered by ElegantThemes... Unlike the themes purchased on ThemeForest, for example, where 1 license = 1 site => Better understand how much does the Divi license cost?.
So choose between these two options, fill in your account information and then proceed to payment. So, now you own a Divi license, you can use it!
Second step: downloading the Divi theme
Now that you have an account on ElegantThemes, you can log in to download anything you want: it can be the Divi theme but also the Extra theme, the Monarch plugin or Bloom...
To do this, you will need to log into your account by clicking on the tab LOGIN (located on the left of the Join to Download button) to access your "Member Area" = this is where it happens!
All you have to do is click on the "Download" button of the product(s) you are interested in. The download is instantaneous.
Third step: the installation of the Divi theme
Now you have your theme, it is certainly in the downloads folder of your computer. To install it on your site, you can proceed in two different ways:
Option 1: Install Divi from WordPress administration
This is the easiest way to do it if you are new to WordPress, here are the steps to follow:
- Login to your WordPress site administration
- Go to the Appearance tab > Theme
- Click on the Add button
- Then click on Upload a theme
- Click on Browse
- Then select the theme you recently downloaded to your computer. CAUTION: you will need to select the compressed theme folder, i.e. the.zip folder.
- Wait while downloading
- Activate your theme.
Option 2: Install Divi on your hosting via FTP
This procedure is a little more complex if you've never used FTP software before, but anyway, you'll have to get started sooner or later, so why not practice now?
- If you do not have FTP, you can get Filezilla
- Once installed on your computer, you can open it to enter the connection information to your server: this information was provided to you by your host when you subscribed to the offer.
- Once the connection is made between your computer and your server, you will be able to send your Divi theme: the right window of Filezilla (in purple) corresponds to your host (server), this is where you will find all the files of your WordPress site - the left window (in pink) corresponds to your computer. The most difficult thing now is to make the transfer to the right place.
- On the right, on the host side, you will double-click on the folders you want to open until you reach the right directory => the Divi theme must be placed at this path: www (or "public" depending on your host) > wp-content > themes.
- Once this directory is open, you can drag the Divi theme from the left side of the screen (the computer side) to the right side of the screen. ATTENTION: unlike method n°1 (via WP administration) you will have to import the uncompressed theme folder (not Zipped).
- Wait for the download time.
- Finally, you can go back to the administration part of your site, in the tab Appearance > Themes to see the Divi theme appear.
- Click on activate.
It's over! It's over!
And here you are, in a few tens of minutes, you have been able to create your ElegantTheme account, acquire the license and install Divi on your site.
Now you can get down to business:
- Create a child theme for Divi
- Proceed to the theme settings
- Understanding the operation of the Divi Builder
- Download first layouts
- Choose the header style for your site
- And more! Access to all Divi resources.
Need more resources on Divi? Visit ElegantTheme's blog full of ideas and tutorials!