Here is an article that will help you to getting started with Divi. If you are new to WordPress and have read or heard here and there that Divi was a great themethe first question you might ask yourself is : "How to get and install Divi? » and that would be legitimate!
This article is certainly the first article of this blog to be read, well, if you get started on WordPress... Let's discover without further delay the few steps to follow to install Divi on your WordPress site. Here is the program:
- Step 1: Get a Divi license
- Step 2: Download the Divi theme
- Step 3: Install the theme on WordPress
- It's over!
Announcement: this article contains affiliate links that you will easily recognize. The classic links are in purple and sponsored links are in pink.
First of all: the pre-requisites
First you will have to choose a domain name, a host and install WordPress.
I won't talk about that here because there are already many resources on the web that can help you and because this blog is dedicated to Divi and not to WordPress. Otherwise, you have this WordPress training can help you get started.
If you have already done all this, we can continue together...
First step: buying the Divi theme.
The Divi theme is a premium theme, which means it's a paid theme, unlike the free themes you can find on the official WordPress directory.
I don't recommend using a Divi theme that you could have found on dubious platforms, you could have some hacking surprises later...
I also advise you not to use the Divi theme that your "buddy" has kindly given you, because it's a good way for the updates are not followed.
Divi is a theme that evolves regularly, there are several updates per month and this would imply that you would be dependent on the person who provided you with the theme.
So, the best thing to do is to legally and honestly license this theme (well, that's how I see it) by going directly to the ElegantThemes platform.
Did you know? You can test Divi for free by visiting on this page and clicking on "TRY IT FOR FREE
As soon as you arrive on the site, you will notice this pretty fuchsia button with written " Join to Download ", you will just have to click on it to see the two acquisition formulas appear:
- The annual "Yearly Access" license at $89: you will have to renew this payment every year to be able to benefit from the updates. If you do not renew your license, your site will still work but you will not be able to install updates.
- LifeTime Access" license for $249: You pay for a one-time license that gives you access to all themes and plugins on the platform with "lifetime" updates. This formula is very profitable in the short term if you use Divi to create your clients' websites.
In both cases, your license can be used on an unlimited number of sites, this is one of the advantages offered by ElegantThemes ... Unlike themes purchased on ThemeForest, for example, where 1 license = 1 site => Better understand how much does the Divi license cost.
So make your choice between these two packages, fill in your account information and proceed to checkout. That's it, now you own a Divi license, you can use it!
Second step: downloading the Divi theme
Now that you have an account on ElegantThemes, you can log in to download anything you want: it can be the Divi theme but also the Extra theme, the Monarch plugin or Bloom…
To do this, you will need to log into your account by clicking on the LOGIN (located to the left of the Join to Download button) to access your "Member Area" = this is where it happens!
All you have to do is click on the "Download" button of the product or products you are interested in. The download is instantaneous.
Step 3: Installing the Divi theme
Now you have your theme, it is probably in the downloads folder of your computer. To install it on your site, you can proceed in two different ways:
Option 1: Install Divi from the WordPress admin
This way is the easiest if you are new to WordPress, here are the steps to follow:
- Log in to your WordPress site administration
- Go to the Appearance > Themetab
- Click on the Addbutton
- Then click on Upload a topic
- Click on Browse
- Then select the theme you have recently downloaded to your computer. WARNING: you will have to select the compressed theme folder, i.e. the .zip folder.
- Please wait while downloading
- Activate your theme.
Option 2: Install Divi on your hosting via FTP
This procedure is a bit more complex if you have never used FTP software before, but you will have to do it sooner or later anyway, so why not start practicing now?
- If you don't have FTP, you can get Filezilla
- Once installed on your computer, you will be able to open it in order to fill in the connection information to your server: these were provided to you by your host when you subscribed to the offer.
- Once the connection is made between your computer and your server, you can proceed to upload your Divi theme: the right window of Filezilla (in purple) corresponds to your host (server), this is where you will find all the files of your WordPress site - the left window (in pink) corresponds to your computer. The tricky part now is getting the transfer to the right place.
- On the right, on the host side, you will double-click on the folders you want to open until you reach the right directory => the Divi theme must be placed at this path : www (or "public" depending on your host) > wp-content > themes.
- Once this folder is open, you will be able to drag the Divi theme from the left side of the screen (the computer side) to the right side of the screen. WARNING: unlike method #1 (via WP administration) you will have to import the unzipped theme folder.
- Please wait for the download to complete.
- Finally, you can go back to the administration part of your site, in the Appearance > Themes tab to see the Divi theme appear.
- Click on activate.
The Divi Theme is installed: check ✅
And there you have it, in about 10 minutes you were able to create your ElegantThemes account, acquire the license and install Divi on your site.
Now you can get down to business:
- Creating a child theme for Divi
- Proceed with the theme settings
- Understanding the How the Divi Builder works
- Download premade layouts
- Choose the header style for your site
- And more! Access to all Divi resources.