WordPress & Divi: the guide to get started!
WordPress & Divi: a great love story?
The WordPress Divi theme is an intuitive and easy to learn theme. However, it is much easier to tame it when you already have experience with WordPress.
If you are a complete beginner in website creation and have chosen to get started with this WordPress theme, the Divi Tips blog will support you throughout the creation process.
Today, this blog starts with many articles, it can be advice, explanations or simple tutorials to make a successful customization of your site or blog with Divi.
However, you may not be able to know where to start. This is often the case when you start out, read a lot of articles and realize, often late, that we should have done this or that before, if we had had knowledge of this information...
This guide to getting started with WordPress and Divi is made for just that!
I propose a kind of hierarchical methodology to leave nothing to chance.
Here is the list of items in order of priority:
Essential articles for a good start:
- Why choose the Divi theme? What are the advantages of using a premium theme when there are many free themes?
- How much does the Divi theme cost? Is it that expensive? I propose you a price comparison with other themes and builder pages of this kind.
- Are you already in possession of this theme? Find out how to install Divi on your WordPress site.
- Before going any further, if you plan to customize Divi with homemade code, it would be a good idea to create a Divi child theme. Once this is done, you will be ready for the next step. If you think you will not need to make any extensive modifications, then this step is optional.
- Then you will see that this theme is updated several times a month. I suggest you to quickly discover how to update Divi automatically or manually.
- How to set up Divi? We start with a series of articles to understand how to set up this theme: General tab | Navigation tab | Creator tab - Layout and Ads | Integration and Updates tab | SEO tab. In these articles, each option of the theme is examined under the microscope.
Essential items to get started Divi:
- First of all, it is essential to understand that Divi and the Divi Builder are two different things. I suggest you discover why they should not be confused.
- How Divi and the Divi Builder work. It's not always easy to understand how to create a page with a builder page. This article is a complete guide for beginners. It is ideal to read it to better understand how it works.
- Once you have understood how a builder page works within your WordPress pages, I suggest you discover the complete list of Divi modules. These modules are available within the builder page when you create your pages. It is good to know what the Divi Builder can offer in order to better consider your project.
- Before you start creating your pages, you could start by set the header of your Divi site. This is an essential element in the design and you should pay the greatest attention to it.
- Not to mention that you will also have to choose a layout type. Divi allows you to create a "full width layout" or create a "nested layout", also known as a "boxed layout". What will be your preference?
- To save time, you can easily create a layout with a single click. To do this, find out how import and export a layout with Divi.
Essential articles for inspiration:
- You already have a WordPress site and you only want to change the theme? Here are two practical cases of a site redesign with Divi: from Hungry to Divi and from BeTheme to Divi.
- Some of them examples of Coaching sites made with Divi.
- Some of them examples of Restaurant sites made with Divi
- Some of them examples of Web Agency sites made with Divi.
- Some of them examples of sites for Graphic Designers and WebDesigners made with Divi.
- Otherwise, you know you can use ready-made layouts that will save you a lot of time? The Divi Builder offers downloadable layouts packages in 1 click.
Essential articles to add features to your Divi theme with code:
- Find out how to open Divi's footer icons in a new window of your browser. This is important if you do not want the user to leave your site at the first click!
- You will also be able to add new icons in the footer of your sitesuch as the Pinteret or Linkedin icon.
- It is also possible that you may need add several images to the front page (highlighting images) within your articles. This article explains how to do this.
- And if you each page of your site had a different color ? This is possible with a simple CSS code. It's not very complicated. You will also be able to do the same with background images.
- Speaking of images, it is also possible toadd an image to each item in your main menu. This tutorial proposes this.
- If you have added the WooCommerce plugin to transform your showcase site into an e-commerce site and you realize that some buttons in your store have a color that does not suit you, read this article that will allow you toharmonize the colors of your shop with those of your visual identity.
Essential articles to add features to your Divi theme with extensions:
- Most of the plugins for Divi are not free but I have been snooping and I suggest you to discover a list of free plugins for Divi.
- Do you want to make your site multilingual easily and quickly? Are you considering using Polylang or WPML? First read this article about Weglot. You will see how I translated my Divi Tips blog in less than 15 minutes.
- On the other hand, if it is a quality Divi translation of Divi you are looking for, you can get Divi in good French by installing this extension. Read the article to see what the differences are.
- Discover Bloom, an opt-in that allows you to retrieve email addresses of your players in order to store them in your mailing lists. You will also see how make the Bloom extension compatible with the RGPD.
- You want to change Divi so that the sidebar is fixed when the user scrolls down ? A simple extension allows you to do this and I will explain how to use it.
- Did you know that there is a plugin that allows you to make many changes within Divi without having to code anything? Divi Switch offers a lot of features in the form of tickable options. It's child's play.
- If you wish to add a bio at the end of your articles because your blog is "multi-author". You can do it easily with this plugin.
- If you are looking to enrich the Divi theme with new iconsit is possible thanks to this pack of free icons offered by this plugin.
- If you want to add a breadcrumb trail to your pages and articles, it's possible! Follow this turotiel which will explain you how to add a breadcrumb to Divi and where you can place it.
- Also remember that it is very important that your Divi site loads quickly. You can use a cache plugin to optimize the loading of your pages but it is not the only solution. Discover how to improve the speed of Divi.
My list of essential resources for Divi:
First of all, don't get Divi illegally, you could have problems later. Your site could be corrupted or infected. That would be a shame! There's only one place to get Divi: on the official website of ElegantThemes.
Then, there are lots of sites that offer tools or resources (free and paid) to enrich your site with Divi. I myself am a customer of these marketplaces:
- Aspen Grove Studios
- Divi Space
- Divi Cake
- Divi Den
- Divi Theme Store
- Divi Extended
- Divi Gear
- Divi Professional
- Divi Booster
- Divi Life
- Divi Plugins
Finally, the official blog of ElegantThemes offers a lot of very relevant tutorials to help you improve or customize your Divi site. Feel free to browse through it, you will find many nuggets. However, everything is in English.
If you're more of a French-only type, Divi Tips is here for that!
Moreover, you will be able to find all the latest articles classified by theme:
If you can't find what you want, you can browse the complete list of my items from the Site Map page or else contact me to submit a tutorial idea. I'll see if I can integrate it into my editorial line.
However, please understand that I could not answer on a case-by-case basis when you have "problems with Divi". Many of you ask me for help with comments or even by email but know that it is my students and clients who have the priority 😉 (don't blame me).
As a general rule, if you ask Google the question, 9 times out of 10 it will have an answer for you.
Advertisement: This page contains affiliate links that you will easily recognize. The classic links are in purple and sponsored links are in pink. This partnership allows me to continue to produce quality articles that are the subject of in-depth research in order to provide you with the best. All this takes a lot of time, I suppose you know that. Affiliation also allows me to avoid adding annoying banner ads and other pop-ups, as we often see on other blogs. I would like to continue to offer a clear and non-intrusive blog. Thank you for your support.