Sometimes people don't understand the differences between Divi and Divi Builder and this can lead to confusion between you and your client (or between the site creator and the user), especially if the conversation takes place remotely. It is important to distinguish between the two products offered by the ElegantThemes platform.
In this article, we will see exactly what the differences are between Divi and Divi Builder.
Announcement: this article contains affiliate links that you will easily recognise. The classic links are in purple and sponsored links are in pink.
1 - What is the Divi Theme?
As the name suggests, the Divi theme is simply a WordPress theme that allows you to benefit from its own design.
This theme offers appearance options that generally affect the Header of the site with the menu and the logo) and the WebsiteFooter (the footer as well as the widget area), not to mention the Sidebar containing your blog widgets and the appearance of your blog page.
Unlike most themes purchased on ThemeForest, for example, the Divi theme does not embed a third-party PAGE BUILDER. Most of the time, these premium themes are delivered and optimized for Visual Composer.
The Divi theme comes with its own page builder called DIVI BUILDER.
The special thing about the Divi theme is that the Divi Builder is embedded natively in the theme files. This means that if you install the Divi theme and you activate it, you don't need to add a page builder, or even the Divi Builder as it is already active in the theme.
It's important to understand this nuance: you don't need to install the Divi Builder if you use the Divi Theme.
Read also this article to discover all the advantages of the Divi theme: 10 reasons to choose the Divi Theme
2 - What is the Divi Builder?
As you can see, the Divi Builder is a plugin. It is an extension that allows you to build complex and original layoutsThis is something that WordPress does not allow at the moment.
The Divi Builder is simply a Page Builder - or Page Builder - in the same vein as Visual Composer, ElementorBeaver Builder, SiteOrigine and many more!
Since the Divi Builder is an extension, this means that you can install it in any WordPress site, regardless of the WordPress theme used. It is compatible.
Like any page builder, once installed and activated, you will see a purple button to activate the builder and start your layouts.
When you don't need it, you can decide not to activate it and use the classic WordPress editor. It's as simple as that.
3 - Example of Divi Builder integration on the Twenty Seventeen theme
As we have just seen, the Divi Builder is compatible with all WordPress themes... YES, BUT...
Indeed, this extension is compatible and will work, but you may be in for some surprises.
As each theme is different, each developer has coded their theme in their own way to get the right design.
Only, when you use the Divi Builder, the latter only replaces the main part of the pageThat is, the part allocated to the WordPress editor. The one where you write your content.
Everything outside the classic content is not editable via the Divi Builder. This makes sense as this part is managed by the theme. You will need to use the Theme Builder to act on other parts of the site.
So you may need to inspect the code and make some CSS changes to ensure that the Divi Builder blends in perfectly with your theme design.
Sometimes, a few small optimizations are enough, I have made a video example for you:
4 - What are the advantages of the Divi Builder?
Although it may have its weaknesses, the Divi Builder is a page builder that has many advantages over its competitors:
- It is maintained: by this I mean that this plugin is the darling and strength of ElegantThemes, so it is continuously updated, up to several times a week!
- It evolves and improves with each update: many features are added with each update
- It is very well thought out: everything is designed so that the user is not lost. I see it in my training sessions, I have people test Elementor and Divi Builder in parallel and it's always the same thing: Divi Builder is much easier to learn and much more UX.
- It can be used in FRONT as well as in BACK: you can build your layouts from the back office but also from the visitors' side. It is very easy.
- It comes with lots of layouts: recently, the Divi Builder allows you to download incredible layouts in 1 click.
- It is not expensive: the Divi Builder is included in the license of ElegantThemes but you can only buy the plugin. Moreover, the license gives you the right to use it on an unlimited number of sites.
5 - Recap: the differences between Divi and Divi Builder
To recap, the differences between Divi and Divi Builder are simple:
- Divi is a theme while the Divi Builder is a plugin
- Divi can be used on any WordPress site - the Divi Buider can be used on any WordPress theme
- Divi takes care of the overall design of the site while the Divi Builder takes care of the design of the page or article
Most of you already knew the differences between Divi and Divi Builder but I've seen too many comments on forums and Facebook groups about this... Now you won't be able to confuse them!